Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Definitely NOT the biggest engine I've ever worked on!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely NOT the biggest engine I've ever worked on!

Okay, so I sat around and figured I might as well do something with my life.

But until that happens, I figured I'd work on an engine that I had laying around for a while. Turns out that I broke a valve spring and the motor just stopped. The springs showed up while I was away this week, so I tore into it today.

I threw the engine up on the workbench. In fact, I only needed to use one hand, since the engine only displaces .91 cu-in. It's for one of my airplanes. I tore it apart since I've also got a set of bearings to put in it as well. It had a little bit of noise in the bearings, but until the spring gave way, I figured it was still running so why bother. Well, now I was bothered, whether I liked it or not.

Everything was going well, until I tried to put the springs back in. You know how those wedge locks stick down into the retainers on our big-boy valve springs on our autos? Well, they do the same thing on these engines, 'cept ya gotta remember that this doesn't even measure one cubic inch! Things are tiny!

Here's the valve, spring and retainer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0619171953_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	4293

Here is the broken spring

Name:	0619172029b_resized.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	4296

And just so you can get a grasp of the scale, Here's the tiny retainers that hold them all in place. The "stick" is a toothpick!

Name:	0619171955a_resized.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	4295

So, imagine my fat-fingers trying to hold that tiny retainer and spring in place while trying to slide both of those locks in place. My wife and I put a sheet down over the kitchen table (better lighting) and together, we were able to get them lil' buggers back in place. Some folks do it inside a plastic bag, just in case some parts go flying, but I couldn't really see what I was doing good enough to make that happen. Plus, it's tight enough getting four hands in there, let alone inside a plastic bag!

Name:	0619172005a_HDR_resized.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	4294

And, for your horsepower junkies, check out this HUGE camshaft!

Name:	0619172021_resized.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	4297

I'm glad it's done. I'll finish assembling the engine tomorrow!

You know.....if we grind off some base circle we can get some more lift!!

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
      You know.....if we grind off some base circle we can get some more lift!!

JIM
      LOL! I thought of that. Guys have actually been swapping camshafts and modifying these engines for a little more umph. There are even diesel conversions that REALLY pump up the compression. I swing a pretty big prop for the engine's size, so I don't use a lot of high-rpm hp. The airframe is over-powered according to many, and perhaps the fact that I can't idle it down low enough to keep it from coasting. Grass usually gives enough friction to keep it from moving but landing can be a little tricky! LOL!

Comment

Working...
      X