"Fresh" '57 Small-Block for $1900?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fresh" '57 Small-Block for $1900?

Okay, so what are your thoughts on this engine? At first, I instantly defaulted to "aerosol overhaul", but then I got thinking, "You don't think they simply sprayed a target 350 crate motor, do ya?" I'm still leaning to a couple of cans of Chevy orange paint.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files
    Get 'em while the paint dries!

Hard to tell on those....but didn't '57 engines have staggered valve cover holes? You'd think there'd be some casting number info and internal pics.

JIM

Comment

Yeah. I thought so too. But they did have a replacement service head that was the later version.

According to this forum thread at ChevyTalk:

Chevrolet Service Bulletin # DR 410 dated May 22, 1959 states that new cyl. heads with revised oil drain back troughs requiring straight valve cover hold down bolts went into partial production on that date... full production by July 1, 1959
      I just can't see how you can "rebuild" an engine and sell it for $1900. YOU couldn't rebuild it for that! Could you?

Comment

Throw some rings and bearings in it maybe and a cheap cam and lifters and timing chain. It could be done for just parts and a little labor...but you're not fixing much especially of it has to get any machine work done.

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
          Throw some rings and bearings in it maybe and a cheap cam and lifters and timing chain. It could be done for just parts and a little labor...but you're not fixing much especially of it has to get any machine work done.

JIM
          Agreed.

The fact that there are like-new fasteners but a little bit of dust on the timing cover leads me to believe that they are fresher than the paint. Much fresher.

Now, for a guy looking for a nice running engine, perhaps it's a good deal. While it does date it for one of the most desirable years in Chevy history, it doesn't say whether it's from a truck, station wagon, the vaulted Bel Air or ? Perhaps not deceptive, but the guy might make for a great illusionist. "Watch THIS hand while I stuff this dove into my pocket!"

Comment

Don't see the point. Get a 350 for next to nothing and disguise it if you want to.

JIM

Comment

No bolt holes for side motor mounts.? 55-57 front mounts
              Every thing is going too fast and not fast enough. . Warren Oats a.k.a.."GTO" Two lane Blacktop..

Comment

Working...
              X