Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnies New Hemi

Lee step in please,
    So I go see Donnie, and the HEMI is on the stand no heads, it appears to be very very low run time, there are no carbon trails or carbon stains on pistons domes, look like they came out of the box,
    with the naked eye one cam lobe may have a little wear, but ill need calipers to confirm,
    The cross hatch is gone from the cylinders, they look and feel slick, so it has definitely been run some
    I have offered to assist, initial teardown of short block and inspection before, Donnie sends it any where for work,

Lee, do you have any info you can share about run time? How well did it run? any details at all be helpful, Thanks

You talking about the one Donnie got from me for Mike , the 528 ? If so it would be safe to say he put maybe 1500 miles on it ( if that ) ... He never got on it or over 45 MPH going to cars shows .. I'm the only one that ever took it down the track and it was a very very strong motor ..It should with the cam that is in it make over 650+ HP with pump gas .. Lets say it was not possible to open both carbs without the car doing the NASCAR shuffle and get yourself killed real quick .. His car was 4000 pound GTX with a 3.54 gear and was an 11.00 flat to 10.90 car ... He had me take the stock 4.10s out and had me put in a 3.54 to calm down the car ..I didn't help much because it made so much damn TQ down low .. There is NO reason to take that motor apart !! It's brand new Mopar Mega block with killer rods and pistons ..I built it for him because people were having problems with the mopar hemi crate motors , so he wanted me to build him one that would have all the good parts and be trouble free and it was trouble free .. Fact it was one of very few Hemis that the plugs were always clean when we checked them and didn't use any oil .. Most hemis stoot the plugs up bad just putting around town like he did .. If it were me I'd put the heads on put it in the car and hang the fuck on tight
    Last edited by Lee Pritchard; 03-05-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I should tell you the one time I had it out on the street I hit it in second gear and I lost it !! Did a few 360s in it and ended up in the other lane going the wrong way .. I have no clue how I didn't hit anything but for the divider in the center of the road bending one of his rims ..Scared the shit out of me , Ricky was in the car with me and he damn near had a heart attack .. Lets just say I didn't try that again I would only run it at the track with 9 inch slicks after that and even then it was dicey .. It needed at least 10 x 28 slicks to go a straight line ..

Comment

Hold on a second !!!! you said " Donnie's new hemi " ?? Is Donnie putting it in his car ? or is it going in Mikes car ? Did he buy it from Mike ?

As far as the block , it was decked just to clean up the deck and make sure it was SQ ... It was bored and then honed with block plates to 4.500 , it was also line honed .. I didn't trust the machine work that Mopar did so we did it all just to make sure it was right ... Piston are J&E , Rods are Eagle and the crank is a 4340 steel Mopar 4.150 stroker crank..Oil pump is a mellings HV pump.. I'm not sure what pan was on the motor when ricky shipped it ... When I built it we took the stock pan and made it a 8 qt pan so it would look stock .. But Ricky might have taken that pan off and put a Milodon 8 qt on it so he could keep the stock pan .. Check that and let me know ..
        Last edited by Lee Pritchard; 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Gotta say, it sounds GREAT to hear Donnie's name in a sentence that includes a Hemi. That's all that has been holding this car up. Good for Donny!

Comment

Of course, we WILL be bugging him for pics!

Comment

Originally posted by C5rider View Post
              Of course, we WILL be bugging him for pics!
              I hope he did buy it from Mike , that is one hell of a good short block and with his new Edelbrock heads that motor will fly !!!

Comment

Yes...he bought it from Mike. We looked up the cam...it's a Mopar # 4349257 248* single pattern on a 108 LSA .524/.507 lift. Not very radical at all for that many cubes..so I can see where all the low end came from! Donny said the cam bearings are funky looking...but I haven't seen them. He did say it was spotless inside on pistons etc.

Plan is to put a solid roller in it with the Edelbrock heads, single plane and my old Dominator for now.

Plus he's STILL waiting for his Keith Black block!!

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
                  Yes...he bought it from Mike. We looked up the cam...it's a Mopar # 4349257 248* single pattern on a 108 LSA .524/.507 lift. Not very radical at all for that many cubes..so I can see where all the low end came from! Donny said the cam bearings are funky looking...but I haven't seen them. He did say it was spotless inside on pistons etc.

Plan is to put a solid roller in it with the Edelbrock heads, single plane and my old Dominator for now.

Plus he's STILL waiting for his Keith Black block!!

JIM
                  You know I built that motor like 15+ year ago I think , we had two cams and charts and I can't recall what cam we used .. I do remember we had to deal with power brake vacuum so we could not go to big ..But the cam we did use had a very choppy idle but had the vacuum to work the power brakes .. We used the stock Hemi convertor and that made setting the curb idle tricky but we did get it to work .. It ran the best shifting at 6k ... Seeing that Donnie is using a 4 speed I'd go with a 600 to 650 lift roller , that should let the valve springs last a good time on the street but still make killer power .. Even with 650 lift it not going to rev over 6500 or make power above that because of the 528 cubes .. Hemis like some strange lifts and center lines to run right because of the long piston dwell time.. Some of the better running hemis I have dealt with ran a big lift numbers on very low center lines like 106 and installed at 102 with lower duration numbers .. These type of cams would shift a 8k making crazy power on a 426 CID ..It Gets tricky picking a cam when the cubes go up .. Think of a short dwell time on a big block chevy stroker , it needs more duration on the cam and much more lift to make what a hemi makes with a smaller cam.. Some of the BBC stroker motors with short rods ratios 1.3 to 1.5 just need more durations than the long rod ratios like the hemi or 440s @ 1.7 to 1.8 .. Now with a long rod motor with good rod ratios and heads that flow crazy numbers out of the box makes it hard to pick the right cam.. End of story is to pick the right cam you need to talk to a guy that does nothing but Hemis like Ray Burton ..Intake manifolds are tricky too .. SS/A uses sheet medal intakes that make 400 HP over the stock cast cross rams made in the 60s.. We made great HP on Indys Cross ram intake with two 650 afbs Vs a single plane with a 1050 ( 9375 Holley ) on a 472 hemi I build for another friend .. The short runners in a single plane just can't match the long runners on a Cross ram .. Like I said hemis are strange and you can't treat them like a BBC ..

P/S if you need new cam bearings let me know , I have a few sets that I will never use and I'll send them to you for Free ..
                  Last edited by Lee Pritchard; 03-08-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Ask Donnie what rods are in the motor ? I think we used Eagle but they could have been Manley rods ..I built 9 motors for Ricky about that time .. two hemis , one B1 motor and five 500 inch motors with Edelbrock heads and one more for his son the was a 500 wedge with the new Edelbrock victor heads .. In fact the first set of Victor heads did not fit , they were the very first set they sent out from Edelbrock and we had to move the holes for the push rods and send the heads back so Edelbrock could copy what we did to fix them .. That caused us to have Indy to make a set of offset rockers to fit the motor.. what a mess it was but in the end that motor made ungodly HP ..Rickey has the motor now in a tube chassis car because his sons dart couldn't handle the power ( leaf spring car ) lol ..

Comment

This is the dart we put that bad ass motor in at first ... Bad idea It was fun for a few hours
                      Last edited by Lee Pritchard; 03-09-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

He's ordered a solid roller. 252/258 on a 108 LSA. Lift is .664/.626. Tried not to go too radical so it could cross country cruise without drama. Saw some tests were it peaked around 6500 on a 489" with ported iron heads. Should be a punchy sucker......good heads will let it carry out there I think.

JIM

Comment

SO happy to see some movement on this! Good for Donny!

Comment

wow, thanks for all the great info, no the cam bearings are fine as is everything else on the motor, there is not one single black carbon track on the pistons, so I believe it was running very clean!!!, Donnie is worried about a little surface rust in a couple cylinders, after talking with jim, I think we are going to scotchbrite that away and clean the the cylinder walls real good and put it together!!!,
                            Lee we need to get the old paint off outside of engine, and get some show quality orange on it, do you have any suggestions???

Comment

Donny says cam and lifters arrived along with rocker shafts. He ordered head gaskets. Need some valvesprings and we're getting close!

JIM

Comment

Working...
                              X