Lightning Killer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Killer

Would you believe it is possible to draft like they do in NASCAR in this brick?

There's a story here somewhere......

JIM

Comment

You'll have to ask Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
        There's a story here somewhere......

JIM
        Agreed! Oh Laaaaarrrryyyyyyyy!

Comment

Well...I know this truck had a 427 w tri-power under the hood for a while......and it surprised quite a few folks on the highway commute that Danny had at the time.

JIM

Comment

Well, ive heard the story, and it either involves Larry getting down in the floorboard or at least wanting to, it involves a bent speedometer needle on a square body, and one very surprised supercharged ford truck owner!

Comment

Okay, we got the gist of it. Now we NEED details! LOL!

Comment

Ok, here it goes. 1st truck had the current 454, 700r4 tranny, & 3:73 gears. We were heading to Pate's swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway. A Lightning passed me going pretty quick. I caught him, and he nailed it. I kinda followed him a while. I got caught behind a car for a moment. When I cleared the car, I nailed it. He had probably 200 yards on me. I satayed in it. Slowly started catching him. My thuck has a '70 Z/28 speedo in it (160 mph). It had been pegged a good 2 miles. Tach had been pegged for minutes. I got within about 10 car lenghts and the engine rpm really when up. I closed on the Ford so quick, I either had to hit him or pass him. NO IDEA how fast we we going. I really figured the old 454 was going to be junk iron quickly. We weren't far from the parking lot and wound up parking close to each other. I was going to talk to him, but he wasn't having any of it. Just walked away. I think Larry was as scared as I was. It was really pretty stupid of me to do that. But man what a rush!

Another time coming from Fairfield (427 tri power then). A Vette passed me going a good 100 plus. I nailed it, and blew past him like he was going 30. We were close to Richland. You got any idea how much gas 3 2's can pump throuh a 454? I barely made it to a gas station in Angus, about 4 miles. I had lost sight of the Vette. While I was gasing up I saw the Vette pass. He saw me, pull over, drove his Vette through the ditch, and came back to me. He got out and ask " What the hell is in that f&%^ing truck? I was showing 150 and didn't have a prayer staying with you!" We had a pretty good laugh.

Then there was the time Ray Dillard said "I'll see you Chevy boys back in Corsicana!" coming out of Oklahoma. We all had race cars behind us.

Comment

LOL.

Even you overdrive guys run your engines at 7,000+ rpm!

Now I know why you rev 'em all to the moon. You were RAISED that way! LOL.

Great stories! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                  X