Pickup repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup repairs

OK...not really hot rod stuff....but it happens in real life.

My wife loves pickups...always has. She has a horse and it needs hay etc. Actually she loves stepsides.The first we got her was a Ford Ranger stepside...that grew to a Chevy half-ton stepside when she needed something to haul the horse...which became a 2003 F150 stepside when the Chevy started having "old car disease" and seemed to start needing regular attention. I travel a lot, so having to mess with daily drivers on the weekends isn't fun.

About a year ago we bought her a new F150- Ecoboost 4 door pickup so she'd have something new around. But in reality it sits most of the time and she continues to drive her single cab stepside everyday because it's her favorite.

A couple of months ago she got rear-ended by a loaded 18 wheeler. He almost got stopped and missed her but caught the corner of the right side of the bumper and pushed it into the fiberglass fender and cracked it up in a few spots. Got estimates to repair and they all came in from $4500-$6000!! I'm like really?? So in TX that puts it in 'salvage title" category because it costs more than 50% of the value. I fought with insurance company for a month and finally got $7500 out of them as well as kept the truck.

I started pricing parts and folks told me the fenders were bonded on. Fenders cost $350-$700 depending on if you get aftermarket or OEM. I found a guy that will paint the whole thing reasonably.

So then I started looking around....you can often find complete used beds for sale and I found one with an asking price of $175...I went to pick it up and offered $120 and he took it. Complete bed with tailgate. Great shape other than clearcoat was peeling. Gonna paint it anyway so no biggee.

Tonight I went out and put the truck on the lift and started the process of removing the bed...and discovered the stupid fenders bolt on!! Son of a gun! Had the old one off in a few minutes! Tomorrow I'll use the porta power and push the corner support back in place a little (tailgate is still perfect and goes up and down and latches). I'll pull the fender off the new bed and bolt it on.

Then I can take all the leftover bed pieces to the scrap yard and recoup some of my investment (or stick them both on Craig's List- never know who needs the other parts!). Get it painted and get a new bumper and I'll be in business in not time!

Sometimes a little effort is better than throwing $$ at stuff!

JIM

Got it all together today. I've got a porta-power and if you study how things got pushed around...you can put it right back in place with very little effort. The only issue was the bottom of the rear upright where the fender bolts on was pushed forward about a 1/2" inch and the upright beside the tailgate was pulled a little. Spent a little time moving things and tailgate is dead on...and fender bolted right in place!! Now just need to get it to paint guy and let him have at it. Looks a little strange with a black fender on a red metallic truck....but it's all ready to head for paint now!

JIM

Comment

"New" fender is a little funky with the clearcoat peeling...but it's in great shape and will be easy to paint to match!

JIM

Comment

WOW! That worked out well for you.

And like you said, a little effort and some paint....

This could turn out like YOUR ol' beater truck and it winds up owin' YOU money! That was what, your $800 truck?

Tell the wife we all say "Hi!".....

Comment

LOL....she got hit in the nose a few years ago.....messed up bumper and headlight. Same thing...no real damage. Fixed at home with bolt on stuff...no paint damage...and I think some of the $$$ went to building "The $800" F350 4x4!

So since this truck is 14 years old......I think I've got my money out of it. Little accidents have paid off nearly half of the original purchase price! Still runs and drives perfectly...once it's painted it will look like new again!

She's driving it this morning even with black fender and is a happy girl!

JIM

Comment

Dropped of for paint today...we'll see how it goes!!

JIM

Comment

I did not know those bed sides unbolted, great info

Comment

AND, photos of the new paint? HMMMM?

Comment

Coming soon hopefully! Going with 2015 Ruby Red Metallic.

JIM

Comment

• C5rider
                    C5rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A total re-spray! NICE!

Well...paint guy got behind finishing a Mustang...so as usual....things take longer than expected. Don't have truck back yet.

BUT....I did sell the remains of the pickup bed after I pulled off the right fender for the same $$$ I paid for the whole thing!

JIM

Comment

• C5rider
                    C5rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, ya can't complain about THAT deal! Congratulations!
                Working...
                X