427 Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 427 Camaro

Figured I'd start new thread about the cool red Camaro we discussed in a different thread. As Lee mentioned, it had a 427/390 HP engine in it with a cam, double pumper Holley, headers and not a lot more. That cast piston, oval port combo was very popular around our area and you could count on it being an 11 sec ride with a good 4 speed driver and some slicks and gears. Definitely a lot of fun on the street!

When Jeff was running the car, it had 3.08's in a 10 bolt rear and some H-70x15's on the rear. Now that doesn't sound like a great street racer combo...but it really worked. You would come out of the hole with the tires spinning...but what was neat was the car didn't just go up in smoke. It would be laying black tracks...but moving forward hard all the while doing it. Just lay into it and start pulling/punching the Hurst handle.

I remember sitting with Jeff one night at the corner of 7th ave and 15th street heading East. He revved it up a little and dumped the clutch and the unibody twisted enough to crack the windshield! It was bound to happen sooner or later with the abuse that thing got.

Another time we were accosted by some out-of- towners who wanted to race. Of course we were just innocently minding our own business, but since they brought it up we decided to entertain the conversation anyway. Things soon turned into serious race negotiations and discussion of engine sizes, gearing etc. Back then we all told each other about that stuff. Well Sorta. We admitted we had a "bored out 327" under the hood but it ran pretty good!

After we issued them a serious butt whooping....and we all gathered back up at the Gibson's parking lot to discuss things....they asked us just how big our "327" was? "How much had it been bored"?

That's when I grinned and said "About a 100 cubic inches"!!

They were less than enchanted....but that's street racing. "Run what you brung and hope you brung enough!"

JIM

ha- that's right, my 68 Camaro had 283 on one fender and 327 on the other, of course it had a 350, but even then it was built from trash barrel parts!!! least that's what knapps said!!!

Comment

I truly believe it was junk out of Buddy Eaton's garage!

Of course a lot of times they kept saying it was a 307! That sucker DID run though.

You were running around town spanking everyone and I knew my time was coming in the SS 396 Chevelle. Karen and I were riding around one night and here you came. She asked if I was going to win...I said "Nope...might as well get it over with!". We went out on 75 and it didn't take long before you were a couple of lengths out and I had no way to run you down!

JIM

Comment

So jeff pic me up, we drive all the way to I-45 turn around point past the golf course, we turn around and go thru the gears, we are really cooking in 4th w the 3.08s, and blam ka chunk, harmonic balancer goes flying of on the drivers side of course we run over it, partially air borne no seat belts, skinny tires, yiiiiiikes, but jeff reals it in gets stopped, man that was along Walk back to a Phone!!!!!

Comment

also the red 427 Camaro, Lee taught me how to jump of the clutch and onto the brake pedal real fast, to do stationary burn outs w/o a line lock, I had never seen that done till then, but boy it has served me well thru all the 5.0 mustang years!!!!

Comment

That car did runs some low 11s with a gear and tires ... I saw it make many passes at 7 points with slicks running in the low 7s in the 1/8 .. That car pulled hard for what it had in it .. I'm really surprised how long it stayed together .. I ended up with that motor after it blew up , broke a rod but the block was fine but needed a crank and rods and one piston.. when I closed the Gulf station I pushed that motor and a 454 and a 327 into the grease trap in the service bay .... Bet money they are still there ....

Comment

LOL.....that would be a cool dig!

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Pritchard View Post
                That car did runs some low 11s with a gear and tires ... I saw it make many passes at 7 points with slicks running in the low 7s in the 1/8 .. That car pulled hard for what it had in it .. I'm really surprised how long it stayed together .. I ended up with that motor after it blew up , broke a rod but the block was fine but needed a crank and rods and one piston.. when I closed the Gulf station I pushed that motor and a 454 and a 327 into the grease trap in the service bay .... Bet money they are still there ....
                Damn, how deep was that grease trap??? hell im going by there and checking, its flower shop garden type nursery now, and I think it has been since you left,

Comment

Originally posted by Rtanner View Post

Damn, how deep was that grease trap??? hell im going by there and checking, its flower shop garden type nursery now, and I think it has been since you left,
                  Deep enough to hold 3 motors ... I wonder how they covered it up ? Or did they just fill it with concrete ? It would be really cool to see what you find ...

Comment

Ill go find out

Comment

Look where all of the iron-loving flowers are flourishing!

Comment

Working...
                      X