• Show
Clear All

• Multiple Events=Tire Poor

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	3386
    You know...when I decided to try some different stuff with the Vette...not sure I thought it out real well. I've always run around on the street with some basic BFG street radials and some tire store specials on the front. I've blasted past 150 MPH quite a few times on that stuff.

For the dragstrip...I've got a set of M/T wheels with some 10.5x28" slicks and some M/T front runners on some Bogarts for the front.

Then I got the wild idea to run that half mile runway deal. So I got some M/T drag radials and scrounged up some V-rated front tires. All was good....managed 177 MPH.

Then I got the idea that if a little is good...more is better right? What could I do in the TX Mile? Well...that brings another issue. They don't allow drag radials and to sneak up on 200 MPH you need "Y" rated (186 MPH+ tires). Finding stuff in 15" diameters for those speeds isn't too easy...but I finally found some roundy-rounder tires approved for those speeds. When they arrived...I found the fronts were a little too wide and weren't going to clear suspension and fender properly. Bummer.

So then I finally located some Pirelli Y rated tires for the front. Short little devils but they should help keep the nose out of the air.

This weekend is preparing it for the drag strip next weekend.....then if all goes well I'll switch everything around for top end playing.

Probably should have planned this a little better!

JIM

Gotta say, that is a cool photo Jim.

Haven't heard anything back on the wheel front from "my guy". Does this mean you found other options or still looking for something for "the mile"?

Been a while since we talked. Not so much has changed here, but a lot to talk about. LOL!

Comment

I raided Donny's stash and came up with a pair of 8" rallys and a pair of 7" rally's. Need a little cleaning....and a coat of paint... but they'll work. You can see one of them mounted up leaning on the lift post. The 8" ones were what I used before I got some lightweight ones for the slicks.

Of course the others would look better!!

JIM

Comment

Still working on it!

Comment

But I can set up a cool pic though!!

JIM

Comment

good pics of the nascar tires please?

Comment

I don't have any closeups with me...I'm in Memphis today. You can see the Hoosiers (yeah I know Goodyear sponsors but these are rated for big tracks). One is leaning against the post on the Rally wheel and another is standing up beside it. Slight grooves in tread...but otherwise a slick.

JIM

Comment

Well...I've begun my tire liquidation. I sold the new 18"/17" wheels and tires last week. Will eventually get something similar but shinier. I like a little bling!

A guy picked up two of the Hoosier roundy-rounder tires yesterday. 2 more to go (26.5x9.5-15) and the 2 brand new 15" Pirelli's and I'll be about where I need to be! Craig's List and Local Hot Rod sites on Facebook are helping me clean out the shop!

JIM

Comment

Jim's Tire Emporium is open for bidness!

Comment

Another guy bought my old 275/60's and my 205/70's today!! Just got the old slicks, two of the roundy rounder tires and the two new Pirelli "200 MPH" tires to go!

Larry...those Pirellis are perfect for a hard cornering bug or Ghia!! They're Porsche tires!

JIM

Comment

Thought I was getting a set of the short tires
                      Every thing is going too fast and not fast enough. . Warren Oats a.k.a.."GTO" Two lane Blacktop..

Comment

The Mickey Thompson 28x10.5 slicks were sold today!! Almost done!!

Short tires are pricey...what do you have to trade??? How about some 26.5x9.5 roundy rounder tires???

JIM

Comment

Sold the last of the roundy-rounder tires today! Hadn't heard anything for a week or so...and then all of a sudden I had two guys wanting them this morning. GONE!

JIM

Comment

Isn't that the way it works sometimes. I think they may be from the same club. One guy mentioned needing new tires and saw a set advertised. His "friend" finds the ad and tries to snipe them from under him to sell to him later!

Comment

Keep sellin' and you'll look like THIS soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	onetire_funny_vehicle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	4476

Comment

Working...
                              X