Ididit column

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ididit column

So after a nightmare time with Jeg's trying to get a tilt column...it finally arrived today. LOTS of mis-information and delays from Ididit I suppose. I originally ordered a powdercoated one...but that apparently isn't happening any time soon. Then I said I'd take a non-painted one. Was supposed to ship Friday a week ago. Then it was Monday. It actually left on Wednesday and I got it today.

OK..rant over. First impression is it's very nicely made and HEAVY as heck. Haven't weighed it...but there's a lot more metal in it than the stock one. Just what a 4000 LB Vette needs!

I'll see how it fits tomorrow. I'll have to whack off some of the shaft due to the Borgeson box length and I might convert it to "double D" style to shorten it a little more. I bough a U-joint for that just in case. Fun to cut on new parts!!

Now...if the steering wheel ever gets here I can drive this thing again!!

JIM

UPDATE- Puttin' it all in a box and shipping it back!!!

After I got it out there and looked closely at how it was designed...not too impressed. Nothing wrong with functionality or quality at all. But for a part specifically designed to fit a C-2 Vette...it misses the mark. The stock column has a "cone" section that narrows down to about 1-3/4 or 2" maybe. There's a piece that slips over the column and slips up into the dash cluster to make it all look good. The new column seems to use the same "cone/tilt" assy as all their other columns and it's about 3" or more across the bottom where it meets the dash. You could slip that adapter piece in there I suppose, but there's just be a big 'ole column overlapping it and the dash cluster it should blend into. Don't like the way it would look.

So back to original plan. I ordered a new stock tube and will repair my "shortnened" column. Jeez.....disappointed in this attempt at improvement.

I'll update when new parts get here.

JIM

Comment

That IS a surprise. Sorry it didn't fit, but good to know.

And I know, that if anyone could have made it fit and look good, you certainly were the guy!

Comment

I'm sure I could have made it function fine....but it seemed a little too "universal" for my tastes. If I was going to do it that way, it would be a whole lot different.

Stock will be fine....I've shortened it already...so as soon as tube gets here I'll be in business.

JIM

Comment

and lets not forget, since it was suppose to be a c-2 specific part, I would imagine the cost was not same as for a implala

Comment

Yep. I like aftermarket parts...but I like them to fit as they should....heck I can hack something. When you lay out good money you expect it to be correct.

New tube will be here Thursday. I'll be cruising by the weekend!

JIM

Comment

Well...Jeg's has refunded all my $$$...so that's good.

I got the new tube for the stock column yesterday. Put it together last night. Haven't installed yet...decided to let paint dry overnight. But getting close!!

JIM

Comment

Got the column back in the car today. All good and it's all the way against the dash like I wanted. Spent some time fixing various grounds on park lights and tail lights to get everything functioning again. Trying to get it through an official state inspection so I can get my new plates! I think it's ready...reinstall wiper arms tomorrow and see if I can find an inspection station on a Sunday.

Still looking at quick release wheels. I'd like that for climbing in and out with race gear on.....

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
                  ...reinstall wiper arms tomorrow.....

JIM
                  Yeah! Don't forget the WIPERS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X