Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well...it took some extra effort and broken parts...but I passed State Inspection today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...it took some extra effort and broken parts...but I passed State Inspection today!

We're in heat season....it was 10* cooler today- low 90's...but pretty humid. I worked on the car last night going over all the little details for state inspection...like functioning turn signals and crazy stuff like that! My left rear ones had a bad ground. Had to clean up the surface where the inner bezels and sockets meet the chrome bezel to get a good ground. Fiddled with front ones too...but the horn worked better than ever since I fixed the steering column. The turn signal flasher was acting goofy and would go to flashing mega fast and overheat...then not work until it cooled off. Got a new one at parts store this morning and they worked great. Brake lights were good. I had to chase down some wiper blade refills...the old ones were tearing some. The guy at the parts store just stared at me when I said I wanted refills so I could keep the arms I had. Young kid, but immediately asked if I had car with me and if he could come out and see it and take pics He went in the back and emerged with some blades that he said he was even amazed they were there!

I went to inspection place and the older guy sorta stares and says "well...I'm supposed to drive them" I said you can...but it's got racing trans....etc etc." He says..."well...I saw you stop when you pulled up so it's all good. Let's ck the horn, lights and wipers!" Cost $7.00 and I can now go get my plates!! My kind of place!

Oh yeah....but the FUN part of the day was on the first attempt to go to the inspection place. Since it's Sunday I had to go about 20 miles to a bigger town. Stopped and filled the tank and pulled back out on highway...all is good...cruising along and then POP! Engine goes to running terrible and making all sorts of bad noises. I killed it and coasted a good way to a driveway of a business. Oil pressure and temps were good. Fired it back up and definitely not good sounding...lots of popping and clattering sounds.

Did I mention I have a great wife? So I call her and she hooks up trailer by herself to my truck., grabs the tie down straps and comes to get me. I sat in the car enjoying the heat but it didn't take her too long to get there. I fired it up one more time and got it on the trailer but it took all it had to get up on it. Definitely not sounding good.

Got home, let it roll backwards off trailer to unload it and fired it again to get into shop. Definitely missing and sounded like top end issues. Usually, if something happens up there it breaks an intake rocker and just goes to missing. But this time it was popping back into intake like a broken exhaust. But with all the sad noises it sounded like it could have been a valve dropped..it was that noisy. Not metallic sounding..but definitely different. I popped the covers and sure enough...the exhaust rocker on #1 broke in the usual place by the adjuster. The pushrod had fallen down out of the way and wasn't damaged. I grabbed a spare 1.7 rocker and put it on. Fired it back up and it sounded perfect! Not sure if all the backfiring in the intake was making weird noises in the big aluminum plenum or back through the turbos...but I was glad it was back to normal.

I swear one of these days I'm putting my old junk steel Comp rockers and stud girdle back on this thing to replace the Jesel Sportsman shaft rockers!! I love them when they work...but not too enthused about how fragile they seem to be. I think it's broken one exhaust previously...usually it's the 1.8 intakes. None of the ones I've replaced have ever died again. Not sure if this is still leftover damage from the first time of dyno testing and them getting over tightened by SAM students or still just funky design. Rockers shouldn't break like that no matter how tight you make them. The replacement ones actually don't look as pretty as the originals. The replacements are a rough casting where the originals were smooth. so maybe they improved them. I never touched the old stuff......

After all of that is when I made another run to get it inspected. So I've had a pretty hot day..but it turned out Ok since I got that inspection mess over with...and got a lot of little things fixed on the car I've been putting off.

Now I can pick up my RUNS8S license plates!!

JIM

Did it look like this?!!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	itsBroken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	4544

And, you better start diggin' those snowflakes out of the attic now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShesAkeeper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	4543

Comment

Oh, and congratulations on the plate!

Comment

Yep....looked a lot like that.....just up on #1 exhaust.

JIM

Comment

Working...
        X