Adapting a D-Shaped Steering Wheel to an old Vette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting a D-Shaped Steering Wheel to an old Vette

I was looking for a D-shaped steering wheel primarily to give some leg room when banging gears and I really like to drive with my arms extended...so having no dish is good too. Getting in and out with racing gear on and the top up can be a little tricky (I'm no little guy)..so everything helps. I also just had my seats re-done with new foam which makes things even cozier until they settle down in a few years.

Turns out...it wasn't really a big deal at all!

I ordered a Grant #630 wheel from Jeg's. It's 13-3/4" in diameter and essentially flat with very little dish.

Vette's mount the wheel to the hub with 6 screws. Most aftermarket wheels have either 3 or 5 bolt holes...so for a true bolt on you have to buy a "Vette specific" wheel.

I took the Grant wheel and flipped it over and put it up against the original wheel. I lined up the center hole (almost identical in diameter) and spokes and used a center punch to mark where I needed to drill new holes in the new wheel. Four of the "new" holes were in flat areas of the new wheel where there is no issue drilling a new hole. The two at the bottom overlap the two mounting holes on the new wheel so it comes down to slightly slotting those two. In addition, there are 3 small slots around the inner diameter hole where the 3 screws for the horn contact assy. need to pass. Another simple matter to drill them and open the slots to replicate the ones in the original wheel. After all the holes were drilled, I used a larger drill bit to chamfer the holes and provide a countersunk area for the Allen screws to sink into and end up with a flush mounting to the wheel.

After that...I just attached the wheel to the hub with the original 6 mounting screws and then attached the horn contact with the original 3 screws and snapped the horn button in place. Horn worked perfectly and everything lined up. Crazy thing ends up with 9 screws holding the wheel to the hub??

So if you can't find exactly what you want, or if the adapters get too long..you might try getting a little creative!

JIM

Man! That looks great! Starting to look like a real cockpit now!

Comment

Originally posted by FastPast View Post
      Man! That looks great! Starting to look like a real cockpit now!
      Yeah, does that electronic speedo have a conversion to MACH-?????

Also, those little holes on each side. They have a purpose, right? Or they WILL, right?

Comment

LOL///maybe I can put my line-lock switch in there instead of just wrapped around the steering column. Or maybe a 200 N20 shot to add to the boost??

JIM

Comment

Working...
        X