Holley EFI Updates and Rev limiters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley EFI Updates and Rev limiters

So I finally got around to installing the Holley EFI V4 update to replace the V3 version I've been using. It has LOTS of new features and our buddy Doug Flynn at Holley has been bugging me to do it for a long time. So I downloaded the update to my laptop...but it doesn't want to play nice initially with hooking up to the car. I don't want to lose everything I have tuned in it already. I was using a newer laptop for this and hadn't loaded V3 on it. So to make sure I didn't lose anything I loaded it on there too and made sure to save everything to that laptop so I didn't lose anything in file transfers.

I went back and re-loaded V4 and then it worked like it should. Must have had a barfed connection or something. Then I was able to transfer the file so the car would crank and voila...it's running on V4!!

So then I start going through the process of turning on the second rev limiter (there's 3 of them that I've found so far..plus lots of boost builder and trans brake stuff). You have to decide which wire you want to use for an input to the ECU which is pretty easy...they give you plenty of options. Then you "map" that input and decide if you want it to be a ground or a 12v source....or one of a bunch of other choices.....( I used ground). The fun part is finding that wire in the harness and verifying continuity to the ECU before letting the "magic smoke" out of things.

When it was all done I was able to ground the wire and the rev limiter worked perfectly. You can decide if you want to kill ignition hard, soft, fuel etc. Folks say I should be able to build some boost just by opening the throttle against it. I tried it at 2500 and of course got some good banging going on...so I decided to stop for tonight and not wake up all the neighbors.

But the bad part was my cool high $$ Biondo button with coiled wire to put on my steering wheel doesn't work with my Grant wheel! The wheel is thick and the button won't go in far enough to get some threads to catch. It was my first purchase at the new Summit store and will be my first return I suppose! Gotta see what else they have. Bummer...I liked the feel of that switch!

Anyway...the hard part is done..just need to get a proper button and solder a couple of wires.

JIM

Sweet!!

Been thinking of the V4 upgrade. But I don't use a lot of the trick stuff like you are, so I'm not sure that I'd benefit as much. Was there any reason that Doug wanted to you that was general in scope, or mainly to make use of the boost-building tech?

So how is the new Summit store? Pretty big?

Comment

V4 has some cool stuff. Wasn't really an issue using the V3....but everytime we talked he made a point to remind me I was behind the times! It has a ton of new things you can play with and the dashboard and data logging is better. I'm going to like it once I play with it more. Hey..it's a FREE upgrade so why not right?

I went back by Summit yesterday (7 days per week, 9AM-9PM!). Yep...it's a monster. Good news is they have everything in stock. Got a new switch, some heat wrap for my hyd clutch line which I figure is going to get warm if I start building boost sitting still, and some exhaust turndown stuff. Figure I'll make some and use the dumps so I don't blow mufflers off of it during boost building.

JIM

Comment

Got the new button installed and all wired up. Everything works at the push of a button. You know...someone needs to make a wireless button these days!! Gotta be easy you'd think??

JIM

Comment

Well....I'm a regular 'Street Outlaw" now. I can "pop/bang/spit" with the best of them at the line. Definitely wakes up the neighborhood! I'm going to build up some turndowns to put on my cutouts so I don't blow the mufflers apart.

I just set it at 2500 RPM and gave it some throttle. I played with it to pull timing out and left fuel alone for now. Only takes a couple of seconds at the most to have 3 PSI. If I reset it to a 4000 RPM launch it ought to get there real quick.

JIM

Comment

Would love to see a video of that!

By the way, am I the only one that got a chuckle out of "I'm going to build up some turn downs to put on my cutouts". Flowchart please!!!!

Comment

Well....I eyeballed things closer and decided it was easier to just pull the mufflers and rear section of pipes. Pipes run about under the seats now. Need to chase down some clamps for turndowns so I don't have to weld them on and then grind them back off.

JIM

Comment

What about using these? That way you can swap em back and forth...

Comment

That's what I need to do for the whole system...inlet and exhaust. Looks a lot nicer and cleaner...

JIM

Comment

I bumped up the "2 step" to 4000 RPM. Didn't test yet though....makes a lot of noise.

Will test on Sat!

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by 540Hotrod View Post
                      I bumped up the "2 step" to 4000 RPM. Didn't test yet though....makes a lot of noise.

Will test on Sat!

JIM
                      This from a guy who was taken "kicking and screaming" from the carb era. Very cool what you've done with the car. Truly an inspiration for all of us! Ya know, if you keep this up, it's not too much longer before you wind up on a Holley ad.

Comment

Hey....that would be cool! I better call Dougo!!

JIM

Comment

Definitely have the cred for it!

Comment

Working...
                          X