Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't help myself....ordered new wheels......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't help myself....ordered new wheels......

I ordered a set of Ridler 650 wheels today for the Vette. These are what I originally wanted but they were not available anywhere back when I wanted them. Very similar to what I had...but shiny!!

Now I'm down to deciding on tires....

I really liked the Bridgestone Potenza's I had on it. They were 275/45-18 on the rear and I felt they could have been just a little bit taller and wider. They were "Y" speed rated for the TX mile stuff. I'm looking for some 295/45-18's. Don't want drag radials...I've got them on the Cragar's. But I do want some relatively sticky cruising tires. Looking at Nitto's and Toyo's but most of them are "only" "W" rated for 168 MPH vs 186 MPH of the previous "Y's". Bridgestone doesn't make any 295's in 18's.

For the front...I had 225/45-17's. They also seemed a little short also...so I'm looking at 235/45-17's. Adds a little height and I hope not too much width. Not sure yet.....

Anyone had experience with the Nitto 555 G2's or the Toyo's? Or any other suggestions?

JIM

Ordered the Nitto NT05's. Maybe a little aggressive...but should drive well. I DID like the way it drove with the new style tires last time.

JIM

Comment

Those NITTOs look like a really good tire. They may not last extremely long, but they'll keep the power down! They even have an NT05R (Drag Radial) version with the same tread. That's cool! You DID purchase TWO sets of rear wheels, right?

Comment

And maybe this thread might help.
        The more you know, the better your buying decision.

Comment

Good stuff......

NO...only one set of rear wheels...what was I thinking???

I thought about getting the drag radials......but some of these events don't allow them......not sure if I'll run them again....but pays to be prepared!

Folks seem to say these are pretty decent.....

JIM

Comment

I run the nito 555 on the back of my 93 stang, the drag version is short lived of course, the regular is a pretty good tire

Comment

That's good to know. I've never used Nittos. I was going for the 555s but gen saw the NT05s

Comment

I'm in Chicago but I hear 4 big boxes are at home! Tires are supposed to be there tomorrow...which is a great comeback for Jeg's (based on my most recent debacle with the steering column). They weren't even supposed to be shipped until next Monday.

Wish me luck!

JIM

Comment

NT05s please don't get caught in the rain ( nothing over 35 MPH for sure ) .... 555s are ok in the rain ..

Comment

That's what I heard. Try not to do much rain driving anyway.

JIM

Comment

Let us know how they work out!

YOu're probably back from Chi-town now, and likely have them installed already. Test drive tomorrow?

Comment

Here you go. I also went up on tire size a little because the last ones looked a little small overall. The rear wheels are 18x9.5 with 5.25" back spacing. The fronts are 17x7-17's with 4" backspacing.

Old tires were 275/45-18's on the rear and 225/45/17's on the front. The new ones are 295/45-18's on rear and 235/45-17's on the front. The front will come down a little...I hadn't driven it after jacking it up to install them.

JIM

Last edited by 540Hotrod; 08-20-2017, 03:13 AM.

Comment

OH yeah! That looks AWESOME Jim! I definitely like the bigger tires out back. When you get a chance, let us know how they do at holding down all that torque. I just thought of something too. With all the asphalt crayons that you've swapped through lately, you never took any off because they were worn out. You simply were upgrading! I know guys with a LOT less horsepower that can't keep tire tread on the back of their cars to save their lives.

Comment

Working...
                          X